Social Justice Speaker Series: Gender Diversity: History, Happenings, and How to Help
June 22 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree – $15.00
CPA’s Social Justice Speaker Series
Gender Diversity: History, Happenings,
and How to Help
Date & Time: Thursday, June 22nd, 2023 from 7:00PM – 8:00PM
Location: Via Zoom: Zoom Link: https://tinyurl.com/5n8rztth (Participants will be prompted to enter name and email address)
Cost: FREE to attend
Continuing Education: Eligible for 1 CE – FREE for CPA Members; $15 for Non-Members
Presenter: Dr. Derek Fenwick
This talk will attempt to increase flexible thinking for clinicians around gender diversity. First, the talk will outline the historical perspective of gender diversity across cultures. Next the talk will examine the current climate of LGBTQ+ anti-legislation and its impact on this marginalized group. Finally, the talk will give tips to clinicians when working with patients who identify as LGBTQ+.
1) Participants will be able to describe at least 2 ways gender diversity among cultures and groups of people has existed throughout history.
2) Participants will identify 3 ways the current political climate affects LGBTQ+ and gender diverse individuals.
3) Participants will learn about at least 3 specific clinical skills to help LGBTQ+ and gender diverse individuals when working with them in a clinical mental health setting.
1) Attacks on Gender Affirming Care by State Map. (2023, April 24). Human Rights Campaign. https://www.hrc.org/
2) Dunlop, B. J. (2022). The Queer Mental Health Workbook. Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
3) Faye, S. (2022). The Transgender Issue. Verso Books.
4) Pennington, H. (2022, June 14). What the evolution of gender can teach us about equality. Ford Foundation. https://www.