Keep Updated even if you are not a member
Subscribe to our mailing list and follow us on social media to get the latest on news and event.
Join Our Community
Receive the latest information on professional matters and legislative efforts. Network with other Psychologists in Connecticut, share your voice, and influence the direction of our field. We also have an active Listserv, and a variety of CE and volunteer opportunities.
Click Here for Resources on The War in Ukraine
We offer the following resources to our community:
Want to Help?
- Understand Psychological First Aid https://www.apa.org/practice/programs/dmhi/psychological-first-aid and obtain free training in this disaster response model https://www.nctsn.org/resources/psychological-first-aid-pfa-online or https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/coronavirus-information/psychological-first-aid-online-course
- Understand the role psychologists can play during times of international disaster or crisis: https://www.apa.org/international/resources/info/emergency-statement and https://www.apa.org/topics/disasters-response/international-response
- Visit APA’s Disaster Mental Health Information resource center: https://www.apa.org/practice/programs/dmhi
- Explore trauma-informed treatment options (read more about trauma-informed care here: https://www.communitypsychology.com/what-is-trauma-informed-care-an-example/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5126802/ ) and the utilization of alternative modalities (e.g. arts, music, drama, play) to promote healing in children and adolescents (see one article here: https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/features/trm-h0099396.pdf ).
- Reach out to CPA and your other professional networks to volunteer your services. During times of crisis, we receive requests for training and consultation for providers in affected regions or here at home serving refugees or affected communities. If you are able or willing to help, have training in disaster mental health or psychological first aid, speak the language for those affected, or otherwise have ties to affected communities, please let us know!
Other Ways to Offer Support
- Make a donation to a reputable organization providing support and relief to Ukrainian people and refugees https://www.rescue.org/ or https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/unicef-children-are-bearing-brunt-intensifying-crisisukraine/39481 (for a list of additional options, see here:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/27/how-to-help-ukraine/ ).
- Explore volunteer opportunities and participate in local activities or drives to help (e.g. food or clothing donations) https://www.volunteerfdip.org/volunteer-for-ukraine .
- For veterans (NCPTSD): https://www.ptsd.va.gov/gethelp/veterans_coping_events.asp
- For providers (VA): https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/treat/specific/pro_guide_veterans_reactions.asp
Talking to Children
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP): https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-safety-and-crisis/school-violence-resources/talking-to-children-about-violence-tips-for-parents-and-teachers
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN): https://www.nctsn.org/resources/talking-to-children-about-war
- Tips for Parents and Teachers (APA): https://www.apa.org/topics/schools-classrooms/middle-school-resilience ; https://www.apa.org/topics/resilience/preschool-war and https://www.apa.org/topics/resilience/kids-war
- PBS Guide: https://www.pbssocal.org/education/how-to-talk-to-kids-about-the-ukraine-invasion?fbclid=IwAR2H1lshRTzEBpzQ35SlOBSNCSW5SCH5qRUBSVM3Fq55KaPU1hj3jyKLa7o
- Bright Horizons Coping Guide: EdDev_guide_WhatHappenedToMyWorld_july2021.ashx (brighthorizons.com)
Visit CPA’s Merchandise Store!
Show your support for psychology and mental health by shopping at CPA’s Merchandise Store.
Find casual apparel, professional accessories, and gifts for children and pets!
Revenue from Merch Store goes toward CPA’s mission to advance psychology as a science and profession and promote human welfare. Revenue from social justice themed merchandise directly supports CPA’s Ethnic Diversity Task Force initiatives.
Thank you for visiting and supporting CPA!
VISIT OUR STORE: www.cafepress.com/connpsych